Home        Back        Log in

A classic communist contribution to the debate about the banner by Jay Knott (09/15/13)       ⇌ (Anti-anti-fascism)       

This is how a traditional communist sees things:

"The ruling class seeks to divide us

Last week, racist elements hung a banner on the pedestrian-bike footbridge over Interstate 5. The banner said “Anti-racist is code for anti-white” and the words were followed by a Ku Klux Klan symbol.

In discussing the banner with members of our community and planning a response, we realized something troubling — some white people expressed irritation that we were singling out this event for response.

A not-infrequent sentiment was that white people are suffering, too. Why focus on the banner’s words when all people are experiencing hardship?

The answer is simple, but needs to be stated: The white folks who are suffering aren’t victims of reverse racism, they’re victims of class-based oppression.

It’s not our brothers and sisters of color who have taken our jobs, it’s the industrialists who have shipped the jobs overseas, the banksters who have wrecked the economy, and the politicians they’ve bought who let them get away with it.

The ruling class seeks to divide us so we have no pride in ourselves, no support for each other and no unity with which to oppose them.

Racism remains, to this day, the most powerful means for the 1 percent in our country to divide the other 99 percent. It’s insidious, subtle and pervasive — and is not welcome in our community."

A member of the Communist Party, Eugene






Home        Back        Log in